Wednesday 25 May 2011

2011 British Superbike Preview: Croft

So far this season, a new rider has climbed to the top of the podium at every race. John Hopkins, Shane Byrne, Tommy Hill, and Ryuichi Kiyonari have each taken a race win during the opening rounds of the 2011 British Superbike series. The BSB heads to Croft this weekend as the rest of the grid will fight to take their turn in the winner’s circle.


If the Croft event sees another new rider take victory, that man will likely be Stuart Easton. Easton hasn’t taken a win yet this season, but still holds second place in the points standings. Easton has two podium finishes this season and a worst finish of 6th.
"I tend to have good results at Croft so I can't wait for next weekend,” Croft said. “I have had four podiums there in the last two years so I want to continue that form.”
Michael Laverty will also be looking for his first win of the season. Laverty, who was a contender for the title last year, has yet to find the podium in 2011.
“I haven't finished on the podium yet and I feel that I need to put that right; especially after running so strong in all four races so far,” Laverty said. “I know that we can win and I just need to go out and prove that at the weekend.”
Tommy Hill, who started the season with a near perfect 1-2 finish at Brands Hatch, injured his shoulder at Brands Hatch and was not able to compete in either race. Hill dropped down to fifth place after Brands Hatch, and will be looking to make up some points this weekend.
At the top of the leader board is Shane “Shakey’ Byrne. Byrne has taken home a race win and two other podiums so far this season, and currently leads the series by 11 points over Stuart Easton. Croft is one of the few tracks that Byrne has never won at, something he plans to change this weekend.
"I am sure it is going to be a tricky weekend as Croft is one of those circuits that can be difficult to find a good set up,” Byrne said. “I am happy to be leading the championship, but its early days and I still need to be up there every weekend trying to get wins and podium finishes. We only managed a fourth and a third at the last round so we need to build on that and get back winning again."

Share

Twitter Delicious Facebook Digg Stumbleupon Favorites